On a recent trip to South Africa, we spent some time exploring the Hermanus wine region. One of the absolute highlights was an amazing 10-course wine tasting at Creation Wines. This amazing cauliflower and gorgonzola soup was the highlight of our dining experience!
Cauliflower and Gorgonzola Soup
2 heads cauliflower (each one weighing between 16 ounces and 18 ounces)
4 ¼ full cream milk (1 liter)
5 ¼ ounces salted butter, cubed small at fridge temp
¾ cup full cream milk
3 ½ ounces gorgonzola cheese
Croutons (sour dough or French baguette are preferable)
1. Slice cauliflower thinly and place in a thick based pot
2. Cover with milk and bring to the boil
3. Simmer cauliflower until soft. Take caution not to overcook the cauliflower as it will brown.
4. Use a hand blender until smooth and set aside until serving
1. Bring the cauliflower soup to the boil, thin down with the remaining milk
2. Cube the salted butter and then whisk the cold butter in gradually
3. Season with sea salt to taste
4. Pour into hot bowls, top with the crumbled gorgonzola cheese, drizzle with olive oil and top with croutons
5. Serve your cauliflower soup to your guests with a delicious glass of wine!
Lance Longwell is a travel writer and photographer who has published Travel Addicts since 2008, making it one of the oldest travel blogs. He is a life-long traveler, having visited all 50 of the United States by the time he graduated high school. Lance has continued his adventures by visiting 70 countries on 5 continents – all in search of the world’s perfect sausage. He’s a passionate foodie and enjoys hot springs and cultural oddities. When he’s not traveling (or writing about travel), you’ll find him photographing his hometown of Philadelphia.