The Buster Bar was an iconic ice cream treat at Dairy Queen for many years. I remember having them a couple of times on family trips in Colorado. Eating it reminds me of those summers in Steamboat Springs or Grand Lake.
This Buster Bar Dessert recipe takes inspiration from the original. Enjoy it with family or friends!
1 package of Oreo cookies
1/2 cup of butter
1/2 gallon of softened vanilla ice cream
1 can or jar of fudge topping
1 bag salted peanuts (enough to form a layer in the dish)
12 oz Cool Whip
- Melt 1/2 cup of butter
- Crush 1 package of Oreo Cookies and combine with the 1/2 cup of melted butter
- Take half of the Oreo/butter combination and press into the bottom of 9 inch x 13 inch dish
- Spread a layer of ice cream over the Oreo crumbles. This works best if you cut the ice cream into blocks and lay them out on top of the Oreos
- Add a layer of fudge topping on top of the ice cream
- On top of the fudge, lay a thin layer of peanuts
- Top the peanuts with a layer of Cool Whip
- Place the remaining half of the Oreo/butter combination on top
- The entire dish should be placed in the freezer to harden
Take it out of the freezer about 15 minutes before serving to give it time to soften.
While waiting for the dessert to harden in the freezer, we usually watch a movie or play games on our smartphones. Whatever you do, we hope you enjoy the Buster Bar dessert!